I personally don't venture much away from eggs, veggies and meat for breakfast but this twist on the favourite bircher muesli thanks to Pete Evans is a great treat if I do. Most recently I made this for breakfast on my sister's wedding day and it went down a treat - helping the bride and bridesmaid's stay full until the canapes came out!
Instead of the traditional oats, this recipe calls for a mixture of omega-3 rich seeds, Omega-3 is one of the two essential fatty acids which are crucial in your body - they play an especially important role in controlling inflammation.
This is super easy to make, but it needs a bit of forethought as it requires soaking overnight. Decorate with whatever fruit you fancy and depending on the season.
Serves 4 (requires overnight soaking)
- 80g chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons of golden flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons of shredded coconut
- 250ml coconut yoghurt
- 450ml almond milk (homemade if possible (see below) - if bought make sure it has no nasty ingredients)
- 1 apple, grated (I prefer braeburn)
- chopped almonds, fresh seasonal fruit and extra seeds for serving (e.g. flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds)
- honey (optional)
- Place the chia seeds, flax seeds, shredded coconut in a bowl with the grated apple, almond milk and coconut yoghurt. Whisk / stir to combine.
- Cover with cling milk and refrigerate overnight
- In the morning, remove from the fridge, and if required add some extra almond milk.
- Spoon into individual bowls or a large serving bowl.
- Top with coconut yoghurt, fresh fruit of your choice and seeds.
- Drizzle honey over the top (optional).
Homemade almond milk
- 250g of almonds (preferably organic) (if you like the milk more creamy, replace a quarter with macadamia nuts!)
- 1500ml filtered water
- optional: deseeded vanilla bean
- Soak the almonds in the filtered water for 8 hours
- Put the mixture in a high powered blender and blitz for 20-30 seconds
- Strain the mixture through a muslin cloth
- Transfer the milk into jars for storage in the fridge for up to 4 days
- Use the leftover nut meal in baking